Ask a Urologist   »  

78 years old, have incontinence, attended keigle treatment, but now its worse. Wearing pad, can I go for surgery?

I have incontenience (sp) very bad and did attend keigle (sp) treatment for four months..that was last year and now it's worse. If I'm sitting, no problem (as expected) but boy as soon as I stand I'd better be very near the bathroom. I have been wearing a pad for about 5 years now and at 78 yrs old...I wonder if it's to late (being to old) to have some kind of surgery. What are the side effects/downfalls etc.?????
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

From what you are saying, it sounds like the leakage of urine is related to:
1. Change in position
2. Straining (as might occur with change in position)

This is likely related to anatomic changes that predispose you to leakage of urine. There are two kinds: 'stress urinary' incontinence and 'urgency incontinence'. With the first, we will SUI, women often leak with straining, coughing, sneezing, etc. The options for treating this include:
1. Kegel exercises
2. Consideration of a pessary (plastic ring in vagina to support the urethra)
3. Surgery

Surgery consists of placing a 'sling' or support under the urethra. This is a very easy procedure and is highly effective. The rate of complications is very low, especially in the hands of someone who performs them frequently. If you are otherwise healthy, you are a candidate for this procedure.

I would recommend that you schedule a visit with an OB/GYN or a Urologist and ask them if you are a candidate. Make sure that you ask them about pessaries as well.

I hope that this helps!