60 years old, long grey hair, itchy scalp, scab like patches on head, eyebrows, behind ears. Causes for soft tissue?

I am 60 years old and have very long gray hair. My scalp itches and I have soft scab like patches all over my head, eyebrows and behind the ears. I can scrap the soft tissue off and it develope into a sore scab
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Psoriasis
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the query.

You have provided with good information regarding your skin problem. Also I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:

1) Are other areas of the body also show scaly lesions especially over knees, elbow and lower back?
2) Have you tried any medications till now?
3) Do you get joint pain as well?

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

With this description it seems that you are suffering from SEBO-PSORIASIS (a combination of seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis). In this patient usually gets scaly lesions over scalp, behind ears, eye brows and naso-labial folds (laugh lines).

You have not mentioned any specific question, but I guess treatment is what you are looking for.

There are lot of options at this stage. If the lesion is only localized to scalp, then I would prefer only topical lotions and shampoos. You can use a combination of coal tar and salicylic acid shampoo twice a week. One can also use topical steroid lotion over scalp, and other skin lesions. To control itching you can take oral anti-histaminic tablet like Cetrizine once a day. Oral anti fungal might also be required at times.

If one doesn't get good result with these topical treatment, then one can go for oral Methotrexate therapy. But this is only given after proper blood investigations like liver profile, counts and renal profile.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.