60 year old. No period from last few year. Can I have unprotected intercourse?

Question
Good afternoon dr. my question is: I am 60 years old and my wife age is 49 years. Our last child age is 14 years my wife menses stop last 4 years back at present i am taking birth control step shall we can intercourse without any birthcontrol we can inject sperm inside and we cannot have pregnency? let me know we can do intercourse without taking any precausion. we doubt again it will pregnency when we intercourse. Please let me know my anwer as soon as possibler. Thanks XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Menopause is the end of menstruation and the ability to conceive (get pregnant).
It is usually a gradual or slow process.

If you have not had a period for 4 years then you are likely in menopause and would not be able to conceive or get pregnant with unprotected intercourse.

If you want to make sure you are in menopause then there are blood tests that can be done to check the level of your hormones. You can speak to your doctor, if possible, about getting these tests done to completely make sure there is no chance of pregnancy.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: 60 year old. No period from last few year. Can I have unprotected intercourse? 2 hours later
Just I want to know whether it is possible to tell me if i make without birth control intercourse she will pregnent or not? thank you if you give answer to my question.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
HI

If she went through menopause and had hot flashes and the other symptoms ( dry vaginal area, problems sleeping, hot flashes, mood swings, breast pain) that are found in menopause then you do not need to use protection.So if she had menopausal symptoms, you can go ahead without protection

If she did not have any of the symptoms of menopause- NO hot flashes, no Mood changes, no breast pain , no vaginal dryness then it would be best to do the blood tests first to make sure she is in menopause.
If the blood tests say that she is in menopause then you do not need to use protection.
Please feel free to ask anything else

Follow-up: 60 year old. No period from last few year. Can I have unprotected intercourse? 2 days later
Thank you Dr. for your reply.
Yes she has dry vaginal area, problems slee;ing, mood swings etc.
I think she is menopause and no need to take any precausion like
bith control etc. I can inject sperm inside and she will not prergnent
is it correct?
thanks for your reply and sorry for your efforts. XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 minutes later
Yes, if she has the symptoms of menopause then you do not have to use any protection. She will not get pregnant once she has been through menopause.

Please feel free to ask any other questions