6 month old is having muscle spasms under cast on leg. How can I make him feel better?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My 6 month old son is having muscle spasms under his cast on his leg. How can I make him feel better and sleep longer?
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

First I want to know why the child was put a cast on his leg?

What was the indication for putting the cast on his leg?

Is he crying with pain?

Infants usually sleep in interrupted naps. They sleep for one to two hours and then they wake up because of hunger or any sound.

So if you want to make him sleep for longer, give a proper full feed and make the room without any light and disturbance like noises, sounds.

If he is crying with pain, give him Tylenol in prescribed dose before making him sleep.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know along with the details I have asked.

Regards.

Follow-up: 6 month old is having muscle spasms under cast on leg. How can I make him feel better? 33 minutes later
His femur has a spiral fracture he only sleeps for about an hour and it's been like this for 11 days I can't get him to eat until he's hungry so it's just miserable for both of us. I give him Tylenol or ibuprofen every 4 hours

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

I can understand your concern and the miserable condition.

For pain, you can continue Tylenol or ibuprofen in prescribed dosage as per the instructions.

And I advise you to give ibuprofen after feed, as if it is given on empty stomach it will cause stomach irritation of the child.

Keep his leg elevated slightly by keeping a small sheath of clothes to prevent the swelling of leg by dependency and cast application.

And you can passively move his toes up and down frequently of the fractured leg while the child in awake state in a gentle manner without causing pain and disturbing the cast to prevent the stiffening of the muscles of the limb.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.