59 years old, period stopped since last 10 years. What is the reason of the discharge now?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I am 59 years old and have not had a period for about 10 years. Recently I have experienced some light discharge. Should I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 27 minutes later
hi XXXXXX,

you didn't mention what is the color and other characteristics of the discharge,
anyhow after menopause any type of discharge to be thoroughly investigated,

in case of white discharge if associated with smell there is chance of infection and possibility of diabetes to be ruled out,

in case of blood stained discharge that could be because of,
-decreased estrogen in the body leading to dry vaginal epithelium and thinned out endometrium which can bleed spontaneously or with mild friction,
-some underlying pathology,
-local injury.

so you better once consult gynecologist and undergo physical examination and if needed ultrasound examination which will possibly confirm the cause and treatment can be taken accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 59 years old, period stopped since last 10 years. What is the reason of the discharge now? 19 hours later
Discharge is yellows brown and very slight

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 31 minutes later
hi,

minimal mucoid discharge is usually seen sometimes, but as it is in yellowish brown better to get examined once to rule out the possibility of infection.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.