54 year old with fibroids. Having excessive bleeding. How to overcome this problem?

May 2013
im 54 years old have been having heavy periods for the last 10 years. i was told i have fribroidswhich i guess causes heavy bleeding. i had gone a few months without a period. but came back 2 weeks ago and now i nam bleeding again . when i stand up it gushes out of me im wearing 2pads at a TIME AND IM LEAKING THROUGH THEM . MY QUESTION IS HOW DO I KNOWIF IM BLEEDING TO MUCH ORKNOW THEREIS SOMETHING IS REALLY GOING WRONG HEREi am pre menopause i do have hot flashes andsome leg pains.ive had 4 childen all by cesarean section

Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 39 minutes later
As you are having excessive bleeding, first better to consult gynecologist and go for:
-Physical examination.
-Take anti-fibrinolytic drugs to control the bleeding.
-Ultrasound examination to know the present condition of the fibroid and to rule out any endometrial abnormalities.
-Go for dilatation and curettage with your doctor's advice, which will decrease the blood loss and also endometrial tissue can be obtained for histopathological examination.
After getting the results of these the next mode of treatment can be planned.
If the fibroid is increasing in size or any endometrial tissue abnormality is found better to go for hysterectomy.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.