54 year old. Found lump on breast. Mammogram and ultrasound done. Having regular periods. Worrisome

I found a lump in my right breast on Saturday. I went to the doctor on Monday and he thought it was a cyst and drew off fluid from it. I had a mammogram on Tuesday. On Wed. the doctor's nurse called and said the doctor wanted me to have an ultra sound down due to dense breast. I had that done today (Thursday). Several months ago I had redness, swelling on the nipple of my right breast. I went to the doctor and he squeezed it and felt it as a plugged gland. I got it again the next month and I squeezed it and drainage came out and I have had nothing since. What is dense breasts? I am adpoted and have no medical history. I am 54 years old and still hve my periods regularly. Where do I go from here? Please advise. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Dense Breast: Dense breasts have less fatty tissue and more non-fatty tissue compared to breasts that aren't dense. They more of glands then fat.

>A dense breast makes a mammography image difficult to read.

This is the reason why your doctor has asked you to go for ultrasound to proper clue about the lump.

From the description it seems that you are having plugged gland issue again.

Please regular follow up with your doctor and do as advised.

Please do not worry.

I hope this helps.