53 years old. Started severe pain in shoulder. What should I do to get relief from pain?

I am 53 . A few months ago my shoulder started getting painful at night... Recently it has become very painful and I find I can't lift the blanket etc. I have a cpap machine and find I can't even turn it off with my left arm. I've tried sleeping on my back or stomach, nothing is working. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

If the pain is aggravated on moving the involved shoulder, it is a clear indicator of the joint structures or the muscles around the joint to be involved.

I suggest you to go for a trial topical pain killer like Diclofenac gel over the affected joint. Do apply the gel over and around the affected joint twice daily for three days and observe the pain.If there is a relief the condition is mainly due to muscle involvement and few more days of gel application would treat it completely.

If there is no relief then you may be needing an Xray to rule out bone and joint deformities ,you may have to consult a Orthopaedician then.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you speedy recovery .