52 years old and had delayed periods with cramping and no bleeding. Cause?

Mar 2013
I am 52 and have been having a menstral cycle between 20-25 days for the last 2 years. this month I have hit the 28 day mark with lots of cramping but no bleeding? we have not had any condom breaking. Coudl I be starting the change of life?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
At 52, you would definitely be entering the peri menopausal transitional period which gradually eases off into actual menopause.
The lengthening of the cycle coupled with scant bleeding is an indicator of that.
Also, there are objective tests available to verify that this is indeed occurring.
Please request your doctor to conduct blood tests namely - FSH and LH.
Women entering the change of life would have values which are way higher than normal.
All the best.
Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: 52 years old and had delayed periods with cramping and no bleeding. Cause? 8 hours later
So it it not abnormal to have a shortened cycle for a time, and then just not have a period. I thought i would gradually ease into not having a period not just all of a sudden. What are my chances that i might be pregnant/ I hope slim to none. I had a miscarriage 14 years ago, we have just used condoms all these years and I have never been pregnant since.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Menopause can set in , in a variety of ways.
You could have a gradual shortening or lengthening ( basically alteration ) of cycles till you ease off into menopause.
For some, it is just an absent period that never recurs again.
The chance of a pregnancy at 52 - next to none.
A home urine pregnancy test would alleviate this anxiety too.
take care.