5 year's child having swollen, erect and sensitive clitoris. What could be this?

Swollen/ erect and sensitive clitoris in a 5 year old girl. What could this be?
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing.
A swollen and sensitive clitoris in a 5 year old girl could be due to trauma, child abuse or even a condition called congenital adrenal hyperplasia. The last mentioned condition is a possibility when the other 2 have been ruled out. This is due to the deficiency of an enzyme called 21-alpha hydroxylase and may cause other symptoms as well. These include pubic hair, and accelerated growth. But these 2 may not always be present.
At this stage, a lab test called 17-hydroxyprogesterone level and an electrolyte level needs to be done. If these levels are deranged, we may have nailed down the cause. For the management, she can have an unrestricted diet and can play around as much as she feels like.
Treatment would involve giving her long term steroids.
I would suggest you see her pediatrician who may refer you to an endocrinologist.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if you have any more questions.