5 year old having itching on the body, no rashes. Taken Amoxil for sore throat. Drug reaction?

My 5 year old was prescribed amoxil 250mg for a sore throat after dose #3 tonight at bedtime he c/o itching on his hand and feet mostly- no rash - no difficulty breathing. I gave him 12.5mg benadryl at bedtime - he slept for a few hours and woke up itchy again - since it was 4 hrs later I repeated Benadryl again - should I be worried - he was having no difficulties breathing and I saw no rash - I am figuring it is a rxn to Amoxil - It doesnt seem like an emergency to rush to the er or to wake his pediatrician - am I doing the right thing?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Follow-up: 5 year old having itching on the body, no rashes. Taken Amoxil for sore throat. Drug reaction? 10 minutes later
wow 24hrs - didn't realize that....could call the ped in the am
- was hoping for some peace of mind before bedtime.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 31 minutes later

I can understand the feeling of a concerned mother.

Must appreciate your sense of responsibility.

Yes, you are right, there is no need to rush anywhere at present.

This could be drug reaction. Patients those are sensitive to penicillin group of drugs
can have this.

I think the reaction is very mild as you have said, there is just itching and no rash even.

What ever you have done till is fine.

Please do following:

Apply some form of oil to affected part or lacto calamine if he has itching once again.

Give him more of fluids.

Rest of the medicines other than amoxyclilin can be continued.

Watch for following,

fast breathing
some other things like abdominal pain,nausea etc.

If any of this appears you need to consult your doctor immediately or else you can talk to him when even he is available next morning.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.