Ask a Urologist   »  

5 year old having habit of bed wetting. Advice some permanent cure?

Hi, i have my son name Shivansh Chauhan, Actually he has problem of bed wetting since birth. Now he is 5 year old but now same problem occurs with him 2-3 time in one night. Please diagnose him if you can....
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 19 hours later

The medical name for not being able to control your urine is enuresis. Nocturnal enuresis is involuntary urination that occurs at night.

First it is normal for child to pass urine in bed in early ages. But this problem stopped occurring after 7 year of age in most of the boys. Around 95% of children dry at 10 years of age. Considering this, most bed wetting is just a developmental delay. It is not an emotional problem or physical illness.

Following steps will help you:

-Do not worry till further 2 years till he become 7 year old.

-Protect child self esteem which used to decrease due to: bed wetting, scolding by parents, pressure to attain bladder control and shaming in front of others.

-If he is dry some day, give him reward in form of candy or chocolate or the thing which he like after mentioning reason of reward.

-Do not discus child problem with others. Protect child from scolding and shaming by others. Remain sympathetic to him.

-If problem persist after 2-3 years then some medicine can be started like: Low dose Imipramine. He may also need urological investigation on that.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.