46 years old. Started irregular periods, having sore breast. Is this related to hormone imbalance or perimenopause?

i already sent my question
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 days later

Yes, breast soreness and lengthy/irregular menstrual cycles are an indication that you are approaching perimenopause/menopause. As the estrogen levels start to decline at this age, unbalanced estrogen levels causes breast soreness and menstrual irregularities.

This kind of symptoms (soreness persisting even after period) are common in most women of yours age group. It does not suggest cancer unless you find lumps/abnormal discharge from the nipple. So do not worry.

You can confirm your perimenopause state by getting the levels of follicular stimulating Hormone (FSH) in your blood. Low FSH level suggest that you are approaching menopause.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need further information.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.