46 years old. Irregular periods, stressed with low cholesterol level. What is causing this?

hi, i am 46 years old, and had my bloods checked in 2010 and agin in august 2012, everything
was good, hormone levels were fine and sugar counts were good, my cholosterol was lower than
in 2012 than 2010, however my periods are gone slightly irregular and i do suffer from alot of stress
in my life,in the last 2 - 3 years could this be a factor for the irregularity in my cycle. should i need to get
rid of this stress, coul you advise me.
Posted Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
From what I understand you seem to be having menstrual irregularities - such menstrual irregularities are part of peri-menopausal symptoms. These symptoms are commonly seen in women nearing menopause. The cause as you might know is hormone disturbances which end with complete cessation of periods.
This can happen due to stress, anxiety and change in environmental factors.
In addition to these symptoms you may also develop other symptoms such as hot flashes, sleep disruptions, mood swings and urinary problems. Do not worry if you develop these symptoms too.
Though these symptoms are normal, you may consider using oral contraceptive pills (OCP) briefly if symptoms are disturbing. Your gynecologist can help you prescribing the pills to you.
Doing some relaxation exercises like yoga will help in controlling the stress.
The bottom line is your symptoms are more likely to be due to perimenopause. Though I would encourage you to review with a competent gynecologist for detailed evaluation and the treatment as suggested if heavy bleeding is there for more than a week.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: 46 years old. Irregular periods, stressed with low cholesterol level. What is causing this? 5 hours later
in august 2012 my doctor said everything was ok when
my bloods came back,if my hormone levels were ok, could my stress level be causing the irregular cycles and could they become regular agin when my stress goes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes , stress can cause a cycle irregularity. If your hormone levels are good then stress relieving measures will help in decreasing the problem.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: 46 years old. Irregular periods, stressed with low cholesterol level. What is causing this? 17 minutes later
any cures for stress to regulate my cycles, i'm doing acupunture cud that help
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Apart from accupunture, yoga and XXXXXXX breathing exercises can help you. Reduce coffee and caffeinated drinks. Aerobic exercises are also a good de stressing measure.