45 years old. Spitting bright semi solid phlegm. Does this indicate any abnormality?

ENT Specialist

45 yr old male non smoker. Fit, 200 lbs. I am periodically spitting up semi-solid, bright XXXXXXX meally tissue-like phlegm from the back of my throat. What is this?
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Briight XXXXXXX phlegm usually signifies an active bacterial or fungal infection or an allergy.

2. Semi-solid, chunky tissue like phlegm signifies stagnation and drying up of the mucus.

3. The possible sources of such phlegm include the para-nasal sinuses (as you have a history of an MVA with facial trauma), nasal allergy, bronchitis or acid reflux.

4. Do you have any symptoms related to these sites such as fever, sneezing, nasal discharge, cold, cough, breathlessness or heartburn? In addition imaging of the sinuses and lungs will help.

5. In the meantime you may try regular steam inhalation and as anti-allergic mucolytic medication.

6. You may also get a sample of this phlegm examined for three consecutive days. A routine blood test and a course of antibiotics and anti-fungal medication may be considered by your physician. Video endoscopy of the nose and throat may be done.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.