41 year old female, diagnosed with pericarditis, in pain. Safe to have intercourse during this time ?

hello Im a 41 yr old female, 3 weeks ago i was diagnosed with pericarditis, i am still in pain, so is it safe to have sex. or will it interfer with recovery
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Gopi A 13 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Pericarditis is most likely secondary to a viral infection. If the pain is persisting some amount of inflammatory activity may be persisting and is likely to settle down in a few days.

Sexual activity is absolutely safe and will not have any bearing on the course of the disease process.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for any follow up queries you might have.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. A. Gopi