40 years old. Using copper T for last 14 years. Is it advisable to use Copper T for another 5 years?

My wife has been using Copper T for last 14 years. No complication so far. we have done 3 times replacement. Now we have removed the coppor T for 2 months. She is 40 years old. Is it advisable to use Copper T for another 5 years term or go in for Surgical sterilization?. Thanks and looking forward to your advise Dr.
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us

Any IUCD or CU T insertion for a longer period requires pap's smear as a routine screening test.

Chances of PID and cervical erosion are more due to IUCD insertion for a longer period.

I would advice you to go for surgical sterilization in the form of tubectomy or vasectomy or she can use barrier methods for a couple of years as she is already 40 and will be reaching perimenopause..

With barrier methods chances of failure are always there so it is your choice.

If pap's is normal and cervix is healthy and there is no pelvic inflammation then you can go for another insertion.

Birth control pills are not advisable at this age.

I hope I have tried to answer your query to some extent , if you want to ask anything else you are most welcome

Best wishes