4 year old with cough, stuffed nose, greenish discharge from eyes. Need medical attention?

My 4 year old daughter has had a stuffy/runny nose and cough for a few days. This morning she had yellowish-green goop in one of her eyes, now in both. Her eyes are both quite red, although not itcvhy. When she was hanging upside down she said her cheeks hurt. Do I need to go to the doctor and, if not, what is the best thing to help her? Warm washcloths to clean the eyes? Vics vaporub? Many thanks.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 11 hours later
Thanks for the query

On reading your history I feel your child has an infection , could be a viral or a bacterial one , her cheeks hurt as her nose is stuffy and could be a sinusitis as well .
Generally even an allergy can cause stuffy nose , watering eyes and may complicate to an infection as well.

She needs to see a doctor for an examination, and she may needs antibiotics as well.

Meanwhile for her stuffy nose, give her steam inhalations, vicks vaporub may only help to a partial extent and temporarily, it will only relieve her symptoms but not the underlying allergy or infection.Do not clean the eye again and again, ask her not to rub the eyes and till doctor advises , do not install anything to the eye.

I will be here to answer your follow up queries also

Take care,

Disclaimer: The information on this email and portal is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, evaluation or care from your physician or other qualified healthcare provider as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Nothing on this email and website should be used for treating or diagnosing a medical or health condition. This is not a replacement for Doctor - patient relationship and physical examination by other qualified healthcare provider.