4 year child is congested and stuffy. Given benadryl. Noticed swollen, red and painful ear. Any solution?

4 year old daughter is congested and stuffy. Cold symptoms started last night. Gave her benadryl last night. Woke up this morning with 101.6 gave Advil and noticed that both ears are red and swollen -- left ear noticeably worse than right ear but both are hot to the touch and painful. no swollen glands that I can find
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 24 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Infection can make ears red and swollen due to inflammation.

It is possible that she is suffering with acute otitis media of both ears also, and infection has reached to external ears.

Examination is required for diagnosis.

You should consult an ENT Specialist or her Pediatrician at your earliest. Meanwhile you can give her Paracetamol syrup.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

I wish her speedy recovery. With good wishes,