35 years old, elevated BP, overweight. does regular exercise, weight training, good dietary habits. not on alcohol, drinks caffeine everyday. In good health ?

Hi i went to the doctors today he said my bp was 146/80 im 35years old i weight train and do regular exercise i eat rather well never drink achohol , do drink caffine once a day im 88kg and 176cm tall is this bad?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     35 year old male
•     Wt 88 kg, height 176 cm: So body mass index (BMI) = 28.40
•     BP 146/80: measured once.
•     Worry related to high BP.

The normal range of BP is considered 120/80 mm Hg. Your systolic BP is showing high values. But, do not worry, your BP is measured only once.

BP tends to change with environmental condition, stress, activity level and metabolic rate. Measurement of BP itself is stressful during initial measurements and may lead to false high BP called as white coat (because of doctors) hypertension.

So to decide if a person is hypertensive, we need to monitor BP at least for few days.

From your information it is clear that you are overweight (Normal BMI 20-25) so I suggest you to reduce your weight (at least below 80kg gradually) to decrease 1 risk factor. Reduction in weight will also help you to reduce BP if it is really high on monitoring.

Even your BP remain high during monitoring there is no need to worry as there are very good medicines available to control it. Only you have to take them regularly.

Final message to you: Do not worry about BP, monitor it and reduce your weight.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.