3 year old is having hand, foot, and mouth disease. Applying an aloevera based lotion. Any suggestion?

Dear Doctor:

My Son who is 3 year old is having hand, foot, and mouth disease. He is applying an aloe vera based lotion all over his body 3 times a day as per his peadiatrician's recommendation. Can you suggest anything else which could help in healing faster, like lifestyle changes, bathing, food, etc.,

Thank you very much for your valuable opinion.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

You have mentioned that your 3-year-old son has been diagnosed with hand, foot and mouth disease and is having an aloe vera based lotion for application all over his body. I presume that it started with fever and sore throat and after 2-3 days of the onset of fever, the child developed painful sores in his mouth and a rash developed over his hand, feet and mouth. It is not possible to know at what stage of the infection your son is at present. However, these rashes last for about a week and then disappear.

As this is a viral disease, there is no specific medication. Medication is given to bring down the fever (which is not in your son's case). Bland lotion, as mentioned by you, can be continued.

As regards your query on the following:
1. Anything for faster healing: none
2. Lifestyle changes: keep in a comfortable environment with a good nutritious diet
3. Bathing: it should be done daily to maintain body hygiene
4. Food: a normal diet, which your son happily consumes. It should be nutritious (no junk food) and try to reduce spices if oral rash is troublesome.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.