3 year old child, severe ear pain post flight. tried chewing, tylenol medication in vain. How to restore normal ear pressure ?

my 3 yr old has severe ear plane after a flight earlier today. We've tried chewing, tylenol to no avail. How can we fix the pressure?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 19 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

It can be daunting task for the pressure changes to return in a small child unlike an adult. Do not give any more tylenol. It is not a muscular pain so will not help. Telling him to chew may not work, as he may not do the movement properly.

Demonstrate to him by holding air in your mouth with bloated cheeks and hold them for a count to 5. Let him do this in episodes of 10 seconds in between. Sometimes the pressure in the ear is held up by the eustachian tube end in the post nasal region. Try some steam inhalation too with normal water.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.