25 year old experiencing physical and sexual abuse, cant tell anybody. What should be done?

Well to start it off I'm 25 years old and I was adopted as a child. Every since I was little I use to imagine that my friends are around me and we conversate, joke,laugh,dance,etc. I stayed in the house growing up because my mother wouldn't let me go anywhere or talk on the phone. I experienced verbal & physical abuse from my mother and sexual abuse from my father. Also I tend to get mad very fast and easily. I have a few friends but I find it hard to talk to people like I'm clueless on what to say. I can call someone and I let them do all the talking because I don't know what to say. Also while I'm at work or anywhere I go when someone asks me a question or anything I tend to slur on my words. Do I need help or anything?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     25 year old female
•     History of alleged physical and sexual abuse
•     Family History of bipolar and schizophrenia
•     Complaints of: interaction with imaginary friends, getting mad easily (?anger outburst), difficulty in talking to others and slurring

Considering your family history of psychiatric illness, alleged physical and sexual abuse and symptoms mentioned by you, I strongly feel that you are in great stress.

Consultation with psychiatrist will help you greatly. During psychiatric evaluation a psychiatrist can also find other problems which you are facing but not able to mention yourself and will help you to find solution. He may give you some medicines to reduce your distress.

Apart from that he can counsel your family members to improve your interaction and their behaviour with you.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.