23 months old not consuming food properly. Dependent only on liquid diet. What to do?

my son is 23 months old ,from last around 6-7 months he is not eating food,only drinking milk XXXXXXX juice and frooti etc,we tried our best that he should eat ,we make khichdi XXXXXXX ,he says no to normal food also,sometime he if we make maggie ,chilli patato he eat that but very few ,he eat curd but not food, like chapati chawal daal,any sabji .My cousion baby is 20 months old but she eat proper food .
sinc we are giving him cows milk which he loves to drink but how long this will continue as he is not taking healthy diet only dependent on liqiud diet,However he is very active and very sharp minded very naughty but not eating food is big concern
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 17 minutes later

What is the weight of your child? If you can update me regarding his weight and height I can answer your query better.

If a child is given frooti, maggie etc he will never have the normal diet. Avoid such junk food altogether. Eat together in the family. Set him an example by following a healthy diet. Show him by discussing in front of him how good it is to have a healthy diet. Discuss in front of him how great a mango tastes. (Do not force him to eat a mango.)

Reduce on his milk. This will naturally improve his appetite for other food substances.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Follow-up: 23 months old not consuming food properly. Dependent only on liquid diet. What to do? 23 minutes later
his height is good,but weight is around might be 10kg.he take usually 2 to 3 bites then he start playing with the food.i don"t knw if when we force him to eat he start crying and if we won"t give him milk he start crying.
sometime becouse of this naughty attitude want to slap him but we control ourself that he is too small .
please suggest any tonic etc
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 20 hours later

Your kid is falling below 15 th Percentile. That means 85 children will be weighing more than his weight and the rest at or below his weight. (Out of 100 children in his age group). He is falling in the normal range for his age.

Please do not rely in tonics for weight gain. Vitamin deficiencies can be treated with vitamin supplements but they are not of much use if given to a child who is not vitamin deficient. Rather than giving a protein powder or something try to give a substance, which has good protein like egg in the form, which your child likes.

Some children are picky eaters. Picky eaters demonstrate food avoidance and eat only a limited number of food items.
Picky eating is usually a stage that children outgrow. Your kid is learning to be independent. So do not worry. Your child is busy with play and he is no longer just that small baby. So sometimes, it is normal for you to find it difficult to feed him.

Sometimes kids do not accept certain foods and sometimes he will not eat much for few days. It is normal if the child is otherwise playful and active. Forcing him to feed will only result in feeding problems.

Hope this helps.
Follow-up: 23 months old not consuming food properly. Dependent only on liquid diet. What to do? 33 minutes later
hi want to share just a few things more as im exoecting my second child this month only,so im worried about him as of now he is only adorable kid to all but when second baby comes and when we give attention to him as well he feel neglected ,as now also when i took any other baby in my arms he use to start cry and feel offended.
please suggest is it ok to give him junior horlicks
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Prepare him before hand for the expected baby. Tell him that his brother/sister is going to come and he is going to love the new baby like any thing. Tell him that both are going to be best friends for ever. Tell him that they will play together......enjoy together.

Never show excess love towards the baby infront of your first baby. Tell him we are now going to feed your brother..........we will clean YOUR BROTHER.............we will put YOUR BROTHER to sleep.........

This is a very delicate issue and should be handled with care.

Do not let him feel that the new comer has taken away the love of his mother from him.

Continue to ask further questions as required.

You may contact me with further details on the following URL...........
Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics