21 weeks pregnant. Should I be worried for low lying placenta? Precaution to be taken?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hi.... i am currently 21 weeks pregnant....and was told that i am having a low lying placenta in my 21st week scan.
Just wanted to make sure if there is anything to worry about... do i need to take any precautions like do i need to take bed rest or can i continue doing my regular house work.....I am planning for a air travel which wolud take around 12-14 hrs when i am around 27 weeks...will that be fine?? what other precautions should i take?
Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 39 minutes later

The symptoms of the placenta previa will depends on how much low lying it is.
Sometimes with progression of the gestational age the placenta can move upwards which is called migration of the placenta.
This usually happens in marginal placenta. But in case of complete placenta previa (placenta completely covering the os) the migration is not possible.
So if you are having major degree of placenta previa, you have to take complete bed rest.
In case of minor placenta previa you can continue your regular work, but if the bleeding occurs you have to go to hospital immediately.
Going for air travel of 12 to 14 hrs is not good with this condition.
At 27 weeks you once again go for ultrasound, if the placenta moved upwards you can go for travel. If the placenta is still low lying better to avoid.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 21 weeks pregnant. Should I be worried for low lying placenta? Precaution to be taken? 2 hours later
"the lower edge of the posterior placenta appear to be low lying"- this has what the ultrasound report mentions....does this mean i am having minor or major degree of placenta previa?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

According to the report it should be minor degree placenta previa only. In case of major, the lower edge will cover the cervical os or at-least reach the os.
So, as I told previously better to undergo repeat ultrasound before planning for your journey. Depending on the findings you can proceed further.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.