2 year child having mild fever, bad breath and gum started bleeding while brushing. Any ideas?

My 2 year old daughter has been sick with a mild fever for about 3 days. She has cold sours in her mouth and bad breath. She went to a dentist 2-3 weeks ago and we were told she had healthy gums and teeth. Tonight while brushing her teeth her gums started gushing blood. Is this a virus? Any idea what it is or what we should do?
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
Your daughter does have a viral infection, which could be caused by herpes, coxsackievirus or she may have hand foot mouth disease. Typically, when there is infection, the blood supply to that area increases and any slight trauma can cause bleeding. But if she does have bleeding from any other site, she needs to get a complete blood count done to rule out low platelets.
As of now, she can be simply managed at home and she should be fine soon. She should not be given anything salty or spicy as this can irritate the sores. Also, give her lots of cold drinks and cold foods.
Salt water gargling should also help. For the fever, it can be managed with sponging and paracetamol.
You will need to take her to her physician if her condition worsens.
Hope this helps
Let me know if I can address any more questions.
Follow-up: 2 year child having mild fever, bad breath and gum started bleeding while brushing. Any ideas? 1 hour later
My wife just told me that she has actually had the fever for 5 days now and she's also been complaining about a stomach ache the past few days. Does this change anything?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Given the new information, I think I would like to stick to my original stand. Children can have abdominal pain in hand foot mouth disease and herpangina.
Your daughter should be fine soon.