2 year child getting bruise on lower spine. Should we be concerned?

Question
My two year old daughter continues to get bruising on her lower spine and tailbone, but she is not getting injured to causes the bruises. This has been going on for about 6 months, should we be concerned?
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later

Tail bone bruising is commonly associated with trauma or constant pressure resulting from prolonged sitting. However as you mentioned there has not been any significant traumatic incidences, the recurrent tail bone bruising in your daughter concerns me.

In the absence of trauma, I would like to rule out inflammatory conditions, allergies, skin infections and platelet and coagulation disorders. Are there any other associated complaints like a noticeable lump, itching, fever?

If you haven’t yet consulted her doctor, I suggest you to visit her paediatrician for focal examination. She may need a few blood tests – complete blood count, platelet count, bleeding and clotting time.
In the meanwhile warm compress will benefit her. Restrict her from sleeping prone. Keep the area dry and clean.

Hope I have provided you with useful information. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Best Regards