2 1/2 year baby having severe cough. On medication. Not sleeping properly and vomits after eating. Worried

Hi , My daughter two and half years old has severe coughs past 3 days, we provided nebulization with budasel repsules twice a day and also gave Bricarex syrup. the cough is more predominant in nights and she is not able to sleep and also vomits out what she had for dinner because of this cough.
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 37 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

Any history of high grade fever with chills and rigors, wheezing, rapid breathing , grunting, cough spells, lethargy,drowsy ? If yes, it warrants a visit to the paediatrician.

Has your daughter had episodes of cough and wheezing in the past? I'm asking this since the bricarex and nebulisation was given . Was the medication given after consulting a paediatrician or has she had previous episodes like this before, which made you administer the medication yourself?

I would suggest the following:

1. Give your daughter warm fluids to drink at regular intervals. Warm water, bornvita or junior horlicks etc.( Something she likes to drink).

2. Try to do steam inhalation (under parental supervision) 3 times a day. Maybe you can also join her and do steam inhalation together.

3. Humidify the air by boing water in a kettle and leaving it on, in a corner of the room when the child is sleeping . Never leave the child unattended with the kettle on in the room.

All the above measures might help by providing warmth, and relieve the chest congestion making it easier to breathe.

You might also want to give her 1tsp of honey mixed with a pinch of freshly ground pepper powder 3 times a day. Might bring down the cough.

Apply a little vicks on the chest.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan