18 weeks pregnant. Have bright red blood in stool and white stringy type material. Should I be worried?

I am 18 weeks pregnant, I have bright red blood in my stool as well as a white stringy type material. I am 18 weeks pregnant, I have bright red blood in my stool as well as a white stringy type material. taking prenatal viramin and iron supplement.
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 10 hours later
There is nothing to worry.
This bright blood seems to be due to the constipation brought by your pregnancy and resulting in injury of your hemorrhoids.
This constipation is very normal in pregnancy and specially so as you are taking  iron supplements.
Just take plenty of water and increase fiber content of your food and ask your treating doctor to prescribe you a  stool softener to keep your stool soft and relieve you of your constipation.
You can even ask your doctor to prescribe prenatals which have stool softener in them.
The white material seems to be mucus which is normal and nothing to be scared off.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck