17 year old having pilonidal cyst. What can we do to relieve the soreness?

Yes, my 17-year-old daughter has a pilonidal cyst. she has had it drained once before (about 3 yrs. ago) but it has flared up again. What can we do to relieve the soreness. She finds it very hard to sit down.

Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 33 minutes later
Pilonidal sinus is notorious for recurrence as it recurs in almost half the cases. Generally, it is not drained, unless it is infected.
Soreness suggests infection again at this time. As of now, she would need Tablet Motrin 400 mg with food as and when required to relieve the pain ( This can be taken upto 4 tablets daily). In addition, a Sitz bath can also help in soreness.
She would also need to see a physician who can examine her and make sure she doesnt have an abscess. If there is an abscess, we would need to drain the pus.
Ultimately, she may need surgery (excision in toto) even though there is no guarantee that it wouldnt recur.
Hope that helps
Follow-up: 17 year old having pilonidal cyst. What can we do to relieve the soreness? 14 hours later
Dear D. Anantharamakrishnan:

Thank you very much for your response. We followed your advice and gave her Motrin and had her take a Sitz bath. The site started bleeding, so she has a doctor's appointment this afternoon. We will have him drain the cyst and then look at surgery as this problem runs in both sides of the family.

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 8 hours later

Bleeding does occur at times - from infection and so on. Nothing to worry.

The surgeon, I am sure, will do the best.

She will do well - rest assured!

This is now considered an acquired lesion! / arising from hair follicle / - no need to feel guilty that either of you might have transmitted...

God bless the girl.

Good luck.

Follow-up: 17 year old having pilonidal cyst. What can we do to relieve the soreness? 13 hours later
Dear Dr. Anantharamakrishnan,

We did see the doctor yesterday afternoon, and he has put us in touch with a surgeon which we will see on Monday. Thank you again for your help!

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 15 minutes later

Good luck and May god bless the girl.

I will be pleased to know the feedback from surgical consult. If you do not have a follow up queries, please close this discussion. I would appreciate your feedback about this service.