17 month old with blister on the gum, fever. Given acetaminophen. Is the infection due to teething?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My baby is 17 months old his top incisors are coming out for the last week - they started looking swollen and white. Since last night he has been running a low fever....99.1, gave him he woke up with a fever and looked sickly (droopy eyes, no energy, wanting to be held, no talking). This evening he was running a 99.6 fever and was given aceteminophen again. Fever came down and I gave him a bath, after the bath I was putting his pajamas on and notices a red blister on the side of his gum where one of the incisors is coming out. Does he have an infection or is it part of teething?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

A red blister on the side of the gum is not a normal part of teething.

As he is running a low grade fever, infection is likely. A detailed examination by Pediatric Periodontist will help in recognizing the exact cause.

Most likely possibility is Gingivostomatitis. Gingivostomatitis is an inflammation of the oral mucosa and gingiva and is common in young children and has prodromal symptoms (fever, malaise, irritability, headache, vomiting, lymphadenopathy) 1-2 days prior to local lesions after which lesions appear inside the mouth forming small vesicles which rupture quickly, resulting in shallow, round, discrete ulcers with erythematous halo.

Symptoms usually resolve with fluid intake, good oral hygiene and gentle debridement of the lesion. Oral antibiotics are sometimes needed. Avoid acid drinks, like fruit juices or fizzy drinks, or encourage him to drink through a straw so it does't irritate his mouth. Also avoid spicy food and citrus fruits if he has habit of any, till you XXXXXXX his dentist.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.