15 year old tennis player. Feeling dizzy and chest tightness. Born with heart murmur. Any effective treatment?

My 15 year old daughter is a national tennis player, she is fit and plays nearly every day, it's only happened a couple of times where she has a quick dizzy spell and tightening of the chest, it doesn't last long and doesn't seem to bother her, she was born with a heart murmur and had tests with a specialist at 3 years old, they said she would proberly grow out of it and had no follow up tests, I am a little worried.
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 3 hours later

Thank you for visiting this website and for posting your query over here. From the story you have written, a few important things that I could get were:

a) she might be having those spells due to a simple, physical reason, an environmental problem or an illness that can be readily diagnosed and treated. These include problems like heat exhaustion or heat stroke (if she plays in the sun for a long, long time), a low Hemoglobin (a condition we call anemia) or a muscular catch (while playing aggressive forehand strokes with the racquet).

b) or, she has a significant heart problem and she needs to be investigated. The most important of these is a condition known as congenital hypertrophic cardiomyopathy - condition wherein the heart muscles become large and have reduced efficiency. This condition is potentially lethal ... i.e. it can kill the victim.

I think that the earlier age murmur would have been a hole in the heart; a repeat ultrasound of the heart would be definitely helpful. It is called an echocardiography of the heart. You should get this test done soon, so as to rest your mind. However, I think that the hole must have already closed and, if at all, the cardiomyopthy will be the danger entity to look for. Additionally, I recommend that she goes to check her blood to see if she has a low hemoglobin.

I think sooner than later, she will have to land up at her pediatrician's place so that he/she can start the investigations that will uncover the problem.

Do revert to me with your fresh inputs.

Thank you. I wish your daughter excellent health throughout her long life.