13 year old with deviated uvula, sore throat. Is the deviation due to infection or neurological cause?

Question
My 13 y. o. daughter has a deviated uvula, normal temp, sore throat, no swollen lymph glands. Is this deviation due to infection or possible neurological cause?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 41 minutes later

Deviated uvula is most of times due to tonsillar infection with inflammatory swelling in early stages or due to abscess formation in long standing cases. So formed swelling will push the uvula to the opposite side.There is no established neurological condition which can cause such problems.

I suggest you to take her to an ENT specialist who can examine , confirm the fact and put her on appropriate treatment.Meanwhile do ask her to gargle warm saline or CHLORHEXIDINE solution thrice daily.This will contain the infection and also help in curing it.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

regards,

Follow-up: 13 year old with deviated uvula, sore throat. Is the deviation due to infection or neurological cause? 15 minutes later
Is it possible the cause could be a tumor or a neurological problem-perhaps cranial nerves IX or X?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, it could be possible for it to be a tumor which could be pushing the vuvla to the opposite side.
Cranial nerves IX and X lesions can also cause deviation of the vulva which can be seen on opening the mouth wide and making a noise like "Aaaa" this causes deviation of the vuvla to the opposite side of the lesion due to pull by the muscles of the healthy side but rarely seen in rest.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you god health.