12 year over weight child. Thyroid test done. Suggesting for thyronormalcy. Any ideas?

Hi, My daughter aged 12 years was recommended for the following test by our family doctor due to her over weight.
A) Thyroid test reveals followings
1. TSH: 4.1
2. T3: 151
3. T4: 8.9
4.CORTISOL (CORT) - 14.57
Comments: “Suggesting Thyronormalcy”
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 24 minutes later

Thanks for your question. I have viewed your reports and my comments are:

1. Your thyroid function test (T3, T4, TSH) reports are within normal limit.

2. Normal cortisol level depends on the time of testing. I see the sample was taken at 8AM. Considering the test was one in the morning, the result is also normal.

Hypothyroidism and low cortisol levels are associated with overweight/obesity. As both the levels are normal, they are not the cause of your daughters increased weight.

I hope this answers your query. If you like to know anything more please feel free to write me.

Best wishes,

Dr Sourav Ganguly