11 year old. Started getting abdominal pain and noticed brown spots on cloth. Will I get period?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
Im 11 I have little super duper tiny dots of redish pinkish in my underwear and I have bad cramps also I have discharge and hair down there and in my pits I had also a spot of browny beige in my underwear it was about 2 inches by 2 inches will I get my period and what are the dots and the brown spot ?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Growth and Development in Children

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Yes you have most probably got your first periods or menses.
The blood from your uterus ( female reproductive organ ) comes out during menses as spots , squirts or clots which is what you are seeing as dots and the brown spot.
Please do not worry . This is a perfectly normal phenomenon and all you need to do is use some sanitary napkin stuck in your underwear so that it can absorb the discharge and prevent it from leaking outwards. You should practice adequate genital hygeine.You might have some cramps which will soon resolve on their own . Drink plenty of fluids and avoid strenuous activity . Please talk to an elder guardian or friend who can allay your anxieties .
Hope that answers your query.

Follow-up: 11 year old. Started getting abdominal pain and noticed brown spots on cloth. Will I get period? 53 minutes later
I'm 11 I have little super duper tiny dots of redish pinkish in my underwear and I have bad cramps also I have discharge and hair down there and in my pits I had also a spot of browny beige in my underwear it was about 2 inches by 2 inches will I get my period and what are the dots and the brown spot? It happend about 6 weeks ago idk if it will happen again but I still get the tiny red dots

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes it's common for spotting and irregular bleeding to occur during the onset of menses . Since it happened 6 weeks ago it might happen again now and gradually every month once your menstrual cycle regularises.
If you have heavy spotting or bleeding continuously or daily you should consult your doctor to rule out any hormonal disturbances. As of now it doesn't seem worrisome , rather a physiological process of menarche or start of periods.
Hope that answers your query