11 month child has been straining to have bowel movements. Anal region swollen, blood in stool. Help?

My son is 11 months old and has been straining to have a bm x 4 days. He screams and starts crying. with defecation. He has been nursing, eating baby foods, and now having table foods. Tonight we came home from a trip and the BM is stuck in his rectum and very hard. The anal region is swollen, red, and theres is some streaks of blood in his stool. I have given him juice, XXXXXXX sauce, used rectal stimulation, and gave him a warm blath to help the stool come out. We sent him to urgent care with my husband and he was turned away and told to t..ake baby to ER. Help? He will go to the doctor in the morning and is for now alseep.
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 22 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

From the symptoms described above, it looks like that your son has anal fissure [ may be due to constipation] which is making him cry while defecating.

Give him plenty of fluids. Avoid XXXXXXX or banana in any form which hardens stool further.
Change diaper frequently, wipe with warm water instead of baby wipes.
Warm saline baths for up to 20 minutes 3 times per day helps. Add 2 ounces of table salt or baking powder to a bath or basin of warm water for your child to sit in. Avoid soap on the affected area and gently XXXXXXX dry after the soaking.

Doctor may put suppository for bowels to start and pain relieving ointment will be prescribed.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Follow-up: 11 month child has been straining to have bowel movements. Anal region swollen, blood in stool. Help? 17 hours later
Hello, my baby was seen by a Dr. Today and we were told to continue the warm baths, use suppositories, and give prune juice. The Dr. Prescribed no meds to our baby such as ointment for pain etc. Baby had a fever of 100.3 F at visit. Tonight baby is very drowsy, has impacted stool sitting at the opening of his rectum, lack of appetite, and a fever still. I was able to digitally remove some stool and gave him a warm bath, but a solid mass of stool is still in anal opening. It was very difficult for me to insert a suppository due to rectum being totally blocked. What should I do? Can i give him a enema or should I bring him to the ER? I just am worried about damage to his rectum etc.
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 6 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
As your baby is still having impacted feces, put suppository at whatever point possible to baby's rectum. Do not insert forcefully up in the rectum.

After some time , feces will come out.
Give baby warm baths not more than 3 times a day.
Baby has developed fissures because of constipated stool. For fever you can give him Crcoin Suspension (120 mg/ 5 ml) - 6 ml - 3 times day will be fine for him.
Do sponging to reduce the temperature.

I would suggest as of now, with use of suppository problem will come down. No need of enema.
I hope this information helps you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.