Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Why does the puss pocket on the tooth treated with root canal hurt ?

I had a root canal done on my front tooth about 5 years ago. It has an enamel cap on it. It has 3 puss pockets over it and hurts. What could be wrong with it? I am 73 years old, 6 3 tall. I am currently taking an antibiotic. Bill
Asked On : Mon, 13 Jun 2011
Answers:  7 Views:  177
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Dentist 's  Response
It looks like there is some infection in the particular area. You have to consult your dentist to identify the reason of infection. Infection could be of the tooth or gums.Accordingly treatment can be obtained.
Answered: Sun, 3 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Niharika Dhalla's  Response
hi , first of all stop taking antibiotics without recommedation from your doctor visit your dentist as soon as possible . It may be because of improper root canal or improper tooth capping or because of poor gum health ... treatment will be planned out according to the diagnosis out of three above mentioned.
Answered: Wed, 14 Dec 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. E. Bharathikannan's  Response
first take an xray of that tooth and examine the rct treated tooth's present condition. probably since it has been 5 years rct done will be of no issue, the surrounding gums may be infected due to food accumulation beneath crown of your rct treated tooth . take care.
Answered: Thu, 1 Dec 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Implantology Dr. Manish Juneja's  Response
Hello Billy,
its been a quiet some tome now that u have got a root canal done. must see your dentist and allow him to take some x rays to analyse what is wrong with it. tartar accumulation around the margins of ur teeth is one possibility which can be thoroughly cleaned by your dentist. visit your dentist. antibiotics will only give a temporary relief the cause of the problem should be removed to prevent from having the problem again.
take care
Answered: Mon, 20 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Gaurav Pratap Singh's  Response
go for dental x-ray 1st.if same tooth creat problem go for reroot canal treatment.pus can be due to trauma to that root canal treted tooth.
Answered: Thu, 19 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
Finish your antibiotic course and after that if you do not feel relief then go to dentist and see that near bye teeth are affected of route canal tooth.
go for the treatment according to his advice.
ok and bye.
Answered: Mon, 13 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. M.Karthikeyan's  Response
actual cause may due to ur poor oral hygiene gum may be infected or ur cap will be improperly fit in the margin of ur teeth and food gets accumulated and u may got infection first consult ur gum specialist and go for curettage with drug regimen
Answered: Wed, 15 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor