What causes severe headache along with nausea, vomiting and nose bleeds?

Hi, I’ve been having extreme headaches, I’ve been really nauseous, vomiting, and having nose bleeds. Two weeks ago my vision got all messed up and I thought it was an ocular migraine (though I’ve never had one before). My headaches (like the worst ever) have been occurring almost daily and began about a week ago. I’m not sleeping much (1-3 hours/night) but I’m not tired. (Could be unrelated, I’ve struggled with insomnia for years) I’m concerned because the headaches have been getting worse (usually accompanied with nausea/vomiting) and today I began having nosebleeds. Is this something I should be concerned about? What could be causing all this?
Tue, 31 Jul 2018
Neurologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

You really do need a good overall medical exam to sort a lot of these symptoms out. Nosebleeds are often related to HYPERTENSION which may or may not be related to headaches. Nosebleeds could also be related to increased allergies such as hay fever or some other form of respiratory ailment causing sinus blockages and these could worsen or instigate headaches. Symptoms of nausea, vomiting, visual aura in the setting of a ferocious headache is consistent with a diagnosis of migraines and insomnia is both a cause as well as an effect of migraine headaches but your presentation doesn't help me tell which of those actually came first.

Let me know if I can assist you further by writing to me at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi