What causes abdominal pain on the left side?

Hello. I have had terrible stomach pains for months on the left side of my stomach. The only thing that I can eat is an English muffin and eggs. I have lost a lot of weight. When I eat most other foods I get so sick, that I can not really fully function. Oh yes, I can sometimes eat a banana. This may sound like a very minor problem, but let me assure you it is not. I have been to 2 hospitals and my regular doctor and have gotten no response to the problem or medications. Marlo YYYY@YYYY
Tue, 5 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

With the history your have provided about left sided abdominal pains with inability to eat anything other than English Muffin, eggs and bananas the probable causes can be one or more of the following:Intolerance to other foods thus causing severe pain and obvious weight loss. IBS that is irritable bowel syndrome. Gastritis. Since you have already visited two hospitals I would advise you the following in such a situation: Consult a Gastroenterologist for clinical evaluation and investigations. Upper GI Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, CT scan of abdomen. Tests of stool for 3 days. Tests of blood and urine. Any other tests as would be advised. All these will lead to a proper diagnosis. If the intolerance for food is present then avoiding these is the best way and try for newer foods so that you can have proper foods and nutrition. Take multivitamins and mineral supplements.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.