• question-icon

Suggest treatment for skin infection on the arm

My husband got some type of skin infection on his left arm where a nurse would take your blood from. This Thursday will be three weeks and it doesn t seem to be getting better. When he first got it I was afraid it could be shingles since it looked a lot like the pictures I saw on google and he complained about a burning pain, but only had it in this one spot. Then after almost a week of putting hydrocortisone on it I took him to Centra care an emergancy clinic, they didn t tell me anything about his infection, what it was, how he got it, but did prescribe him: Prednisone, cephalexin which he s already finished, and triamcinolone acetonide cream. The cream turned the infection into a black scab which has now fallen off, it looks like new skin is growing, however, it s red, inflamed, and sometimes burns, and some of the blisters that formed before are still there and is a yellow puss color. I have pictures if someone could take a look and help, I don t know if I should take him back to the central care it didn t really seem like they knew a lot I do have an appointment for him on Thursday with a dermatologist that s going to costs us $200 so if I could get some help on here instead i d really appreciate it.
Fri, 12 Dec 2014
Infectious Diseases Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for your query at HCM

As per your complaints it seems your partner is suffering from some resistant bacterial infection(MRSA, etc) which is common colonizer of injection sites. If it is draining yellow pus I advice you take the sample in swab and send it for gram stain microscopy & aerobic/anaerobic culture. Depending upon the sensitivity result further treatment can be advised.