It is normal to experience itching and pain around a dog bite wound?

Sustained a severe dog bite on side of lower leg almost 2 weeks ago. Went to ER and wounds were cleaned but left open to heal. Was started on Augmentin and directed to cleanse wounds twice daily with mild soap and water, apply topical antibiotic and bandage. Im fine for a couple of days having expected pain. Returned to work where I m on my feet a lot. Pain, swelling, redness increased in leg. Went to doctor and received prescription for Bactrim and told to stop Augmentin. 5 days later the redness has almost subsided but there is an approximate 6 x 4 area where the skin is hardened and slightly raised. The area is tender yet tingly and also itches very badly like deep inside but hurts and gets a burning sensation if I scratch or even rub area. It s almost too tender and irritable to have clothing rubbing. The puncture marks still have dark scabs with redness around edges. These areas itch but are painful still. Is this normal?
Tue, 11 Sep 2018

Consult a physician and look for any possible sign of infection. In that case, you have to consult a GP and start on antibiotics.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Shinas Hussain, General & Family Physician