Is Pantoprazole advisable for burning pain in the chest?

I have been given a prescription for pantoprazole sodium ,I have read the side effects and am scared to take it,I am 70 years old and burp a lot and have a burning pain in my left chest,I was taking pepsid 40 mg it helped some but sometimes I still had the burps and pain so my doctor chaged me to this one it is also 40 mg one daily.
Fri, 23 Mar 2018

Yes, it is advisable for the burning pain in the chest. Based on the history given, you seem to be suffering from GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) for which your doctor has prescribed pantoprazole which is more effective than pepsid-40 in controlling your symptoms.

Pantoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor that decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach and hence commonly prescribed to treat erosive esophagitis (damage to the esophagus from stomach acid caused by GERD) and is usually given for up to eight weeks once daily at a time while your esophagus heals.

Generally well tolerated, however, it's most common side effects include headache, nausea, and diarrhea. On prolonged use, it may cause osteoporosis ('thinning of the bones') and increase the risk of intestinal infections. Osteoporosis can be prevented by taking Vitamin D plus calcium supplements.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali