How reliable is the third generation Elisa test report at eight weeks after a possible exposure?

Hello, I had a risk exposure 8 weeks ago (18 March 2018) and got tested for HIV this week on 14.05.2018. The lab told me however that they use only third generation ELISA tests and not the 4th generation combo tests. How reliable would the test result be if negative at 8 weeks after exposure? Would you strongly recommend a retest at 12 weeks before unprotected contact with a partner?
Mon, 11 Jun 2018
HIV AIDS Specialist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Window period for HIV ELISA test is 6-8 weeks after the exposure. Some people are likely to have a delayed seroconversion in rare occasion. Therefore, your test can be considered more conclusive after 12 weeks of unprotected exposure. Hence, I suggest an another HIV test even though your test is highly reliable at 8 weeks after the exposure.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Infectious Diseases Specialist Dr. Monika Dede's  Response

Based on your history, you should know that a third generation Elisa test after 8 weeks from exposure is very accurate. Therefore, according the recommendations, I suggest to do a 4 generation HIV test after 3 months as a conclusive test.

I hope my answer helps you.

Regards.