Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Eye injury, pain on looking to one side, discomfort, bruising. Will icing help?

Hey my name is XXXXX im a boxer and today i got hit in the eye and i have been hit thousands of times but this time it feels very akward it hurts when i look to the sides when i change my eyesight,and its very uncomftorable,please let me know if i must see the doctor or if i can just put ice on it even though the outside of my eye is not swollen just bruised.
Sat, 7 Jul 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hi Teddy,
The answer is Yes, you must have your eyes checked.
Any blunt trauma in and around the eyes should not be ignored as there is a chance of Indirect injury to the Optic nerve because of the force transmitted through the optic canal. ( Esp in your Boxing field).Symptoms of Optic nerve injury include Decreased visual acuity and field of vision and loss of color vision. Sometimes it is only evident after a period of 3-6 weeks.

And other common problem encountered is the Traumatic Iritis,which Presents with pain,redness and photophobia(glare ) which need an anti inflammatory eyedrops and further assessment ensure your retina is Ok.

So considering these two common effects of blunt trauma , I would suggest you to have an examination at the earliest. You can continue the ice packs for temporary relief till then.
Take care :).
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor