see strange light when I blink

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Wed, 13 Feb 2019 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: see strange light when I blink
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 30 minutes later
I have never seen lights like this. Rounded orbit when I blink. In my 67 years nothing like this. I have no aches or pains, no other symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Age is a possible cause but examination is needed to rule out important conditions that may cause vision loss

Detailed Answer:

Seeing lights is something that happens with age and not always means something important. On the other hand flashes of light can indicate important problems with the eyes like vitreous and retinal problems (very important structures in the inner eye) which might cause permanent vision loss.

To make the difference if these are flashing lights from aging or from something happening in the eye that might damage the vision it is recommended to see your doctor as soon as possible. The doctor will examine your eyes with a special light after putting some drops in the eye to make the apple of the eye wider (this examination is called slit lamp examination). This will allow the doctor to examine all the eye structures especially the virteous and the retina which are the most likely ones that might cause flashing lights.

If the doctor sees that you are developing retinal detachment he will recommend further treatment to prevent further damage of the vision.

To conclude I would say:
- even though flashing lights are common with age, it is important to see the ophtalmologist and have a slit lamp examination to rule out serious conditions that might cause vision loss
- the examination is not painful, you might need to ask someone to drive you home because the eye drops used might blur your vision for a few hours
- if the examination is normal then there is nothing to worry

I hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Antoneta Zotaj,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng