i have a friend who is addicted to crack cocaine.Very

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: i have a friend who is addicted to crack cocaine.Very heavy user around 1500$-2000$ per day.He just cant stop.He is not willing to go to treatment because he has been 3 times.The last time he went he spent 8 months and 10 days both in primary and secondary housing.He managed to stay sober for 11 years then he took an oxycodone and he has been relapsing for 4 years.THE LAST TWO YEARS HAVE BEEN VERY VERY BAD.Do you have any suggestions except for rehab as to how he can stop on his own.Is it even possible.He had a 5 month period of sobriety then relapsed again.I have no more answers as to how to help him.PLEASE HELP ME HELP HIM

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rahab centre is the only option for heavy users

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns about your friend.

First of all I feel that for a heavy user the risk of relapse is always there and this is more when the person is unsupported environment. In other words it can be said that even after months/years of sobriety patient may relapse anytime who lacks appropriate coping skills to deal with problems of life.

But the rehabilitation centres often equip the person with better coping skills to sail through the problems of life making them the best choice available for persons with substance abuse.

There is no short cut or help available for heavy users other than the rehabilitation. I must acknowledge that the ability to quit without rehabilitation is very low if any and I feel that kind of attempt will lower his self confidence rather than helping him.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj