Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

149 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Would a neurologist recognize the Rett syndrome in a two and a half year old girl?

Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 16085 Questions

Posted on Thu, 18 Oct 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Would a Nurologist recognize Rett syndrome in a two and a half year old girl ?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, but may want to wait if symptoms not consistent.

Detailed Answer:

It is possible that a neurologist or pediatrician, would be able to recognize tourettes but they may want to wait for a little while before making a sure diagnosis.

There are certain criteria that need to be present for a person to the diagnosed with tourettes:

(1) person must have both multiple (a lot) of motor (movement) and vocal tics.Vocal tics can be yelling, barking, coughing, clearing throat, hiccuping, sniffing etc.Motor tics can be blinking, head turning, jerking, sticking out tongue etc

(2)The tics must occur multiple times a day, nearly every day or intermittently over more than a year with no tic free period more than 3 months (there should not be a 3 month span with no tics).

(3)Start less than age 18.

(4)The tics are not due to any medication or another medical illness

A person has to have these above criteria to be diagnosed with tourettes. Because the little girl may not have been having the tics for over a year or they are not occurring every single day, multiple times a day, the doctor may want to wait to see if they continue or change.

She can be taken to her pediatrician or a neurologist for an assessment.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James,
General & Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on