Would a neurologist recognize the Rett syndrome in a two and a half year old girl?
Yes, but may want to wait if symptoms not consistent.
It is possible that a neurologist or pediatrician, would be able to recognize tourettes but they may want to wait for a little while before making a sure diagnosis.
There are certain criteria that need to be present for a person to the diagnosed with tourettes:
(1) person must have both multiple (a lot) of motor (movement) and vocal tics.Vocal tics can be yelling, barking, coughing, clearing throat, hiccuping, sniffing etc.Motor tics can be blinking, head turning, jerking, sticking out tongue etc
(2)The tics must occur multiple times a day, nearly every day or intermittently over more than a year with no tic free period more than 3 months (there should not be a 3 month span with no tics).
(3)Start less than age 18.
(4)The tics are not due to any medication or another medical illness
A person has to have these above criteria to be diagnosed with tourettes. Because the little girl may not have been having the tics for over a year or they are not occurring every single day, multiple times a day, the doctor may want to wait to see if they continue or change.
She can be taken to her pediatrician or a neurologist for an assessment.
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Michelle Gibson James,
General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Drugs/medication for rett syndrome
- Symptoms of rett syndrome
- Diagnosis of rett syndrome
- Treatment and cure for rett syndrome
- Dexa scan in rett syndrome
- Rett syndrome causes
- Choroid plexus cyst and rett syndrome
- Does constipation. this is a common problem in people with rett syndrome. signify rett syndrome?
- Healthcaremagic healthpage rett syndrome hand
- Horners syndrome 30 years old
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?