Will cocaine taken 11 days ago show in the urine sample?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Drug Abuse
Question: I took cocaine about 11 days ago i am not a daily user but I do indulge in some every 3 weeks or so? I have to give a urine sample for a job in 10 days time is it likely to show up??
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is very little chance of detection in urine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

Cocaine itself is metabolized very rapidly and it can't be measured in routine urine screening.When urine is being screened for the presence of cocaine,we actually measure benzoylecgonine(a metabolite of cocaine).

There is no universal rule for its total excretion through urine.It is debatable.
The widely accepted time period for benzoylecgonine to be cleared from the urine is 3-5 days.
Some study claims that benzoylecgonine can be detected in heavy cocaine users for 10-14 days.

You have taken 10 days ago and you are supposed to be tested after 10 days,so there is very little chance of its detection in urine.It can be assumed that you are safe.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX