question-icon

Why am I getting brownish red running material like discharge during defecation along with stomach spasms?

Posted on Thu, 8 Apr 2021
Question: I have brownish red running material come out when I go to the bathroom. My stomach is churning all the time.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (20 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
This can be a serious problems needing urgent diagnosis and management

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Brownish red material coming out with constant churning of stomach are indicative of one of the following:
Intestinal infection.
Intestinal intususception.
And some rare conditions.
All of which are potentially dangerous and thus needs urgent attention.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Consult your Doctor or at ER (Emergency Room) for clinical evaluation, examination and investigations.
You need the tests of blood, stool and urine.
X-ray of abdomen in standing position.
Ultrasonography and CT scan of abdomen if needed to know the exact diagnosis so that an appropriate management can be done asap.
You may also need proper replacement of intravenous fluids, electrolytes and need proper antibiotic cover.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Please give feedback once the diagnosis has been confirmed and followup too.
With Regards.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon