Which doctor should I consult to discuss symptoms relating to the gut and intestine?

Posted on Thu, 3 Oct 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I’m 83 yrs old my stool has been erratic from hard to soft it has changed to a yellowish color and the consisting fairly normal coming out but in toilet it becomes like a cloud when flushed in other words it is like light sand. It must be extremely solvable in water. I don’t feel that bad but am a little worried because my Dad died of pancreatic cancer. What type of dr. Should I see? Thank you! Irv jones. Email YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to visit a Gastroenterologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for query my dear patient,
As per your query dear you should consult a gastroenterologist (doctor that deals with your gut and intestine ).In case Gastroenterologist is not available then you could visit a MD in internal medicine.
He would prescribe you few tests like ultrasound or CT scan of abdomen to rule out possible pancreatic involvement.
A stool test would also be done by him to reach a diagnosis.
Please let me know if you have any other query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Ramesh Kumar


Practicing since :1986

Answered : 2334 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

127 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction